The Women Divers Hall of Fame is accepting applications now through Nov. 15th for its 2013 scholarships and grants. Read the WDHOF release below for a sneak peek at some of the available awards, then go to Women Divers Hall of Fame for applications and more details. Most scholarships are open to women only, but a few are available to male divers also.
2013 WOMEN DIVERS HALL OF FAME
SCHOLARSHIPS AND TRAINING GRANTS
Applications will be accepted until Nov. 15, 2012
The Women Divers Hall of Fame (WDHOF) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to honoring and raising awareness of the contributions of outstanding women divers. WDHOF provides educational, mentorship, financial, and career opportunities to the diving community throughout the world. Each year, WDHOF awards scholarships and training grants that provide financial and educational support to individuals of all ages, particularly those who are preparing for professional careers that involve diving.
Scholarships are offered in conservation, marine biology, underwater archaeology, and journalism, graphic arts, or photography. Scholarships are paid directly to the recipient. The following five scholarships will be awarded in 2013:
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame & Aggressor and Dancer Fleet Graduate Scholarships in Marine Conservation ($2,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame Undergraduate Scholarship in Marine Conservation, sponsored by Sherry A. Reed ($1,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame Marine Research Internship in Marine Biology, sponsored by Sue Morra, Ph.D., and Kathleen Dudzinski, Ph.D. ($1,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Cecelia Connelly Memorial Scholarship in Underwater Archaeology, sponsored by the Connelly family ($1,500)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Elizabeth Greenhalgh Memorial Scholarship in Journalism, Graphic Arts, or Photography, sponsored by Deb Greenhalgh ($1,500)
Training grants provide funding for scuba training and, for some awards, scuba equipment. Funds are paid directly to the training facility and/or the equipment vendor upon WDHOF’s receipt of an invoice; they are NOT paid directly to the grantee. The following nine training grants will be awarded in 2013:
• NEW FOR 2013 —The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Amelia Behrens-Furniss Memorial Hardhat Training Grant sponsored by Brianna Silverman ($400)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Kids Sea Camp Dive Training Grant, sponsored by Margo Peyton (2 grants, $500 each)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame Advanced Dive Training Grant, sponsored by Bonnie Toth ( $1,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Hugh Fletcher Memorial Training Grant to Assist the Disabled to Dive ( $1,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Ocean Pals Junior Dive Training Grant ($1,000)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame /Scuba Made Easy Training Grant in Marine Science, Oceanography, or Ocean Engineering ($500)
• The Women Divers Hall of Fame / Women’s Scuba Association Dive Training Grants (2 grants, $750 each)
HOW TO APPY
You may only apply for one scholarship per year. Applicants MUST complete the online application form. A biography, an essay describing why you are applying for the scholarship and how you would use the scholarship to pursue your goals, and two letters of recommendation are REQUIRED. Some of the scholarships/training grants require additional information, or are for specific purposes, so please read the criteria and application instructions carefully. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted for further consideration. If you have questions after you’ve carefully read the application instructions, please email: email@example.com.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Nov. 15, 2012, at midnight U.S. Eastern Standard Time. Applicants will be notified of award status by February 1, 2013. Only online submissions will be accepted.
Click here to access the application form & upload area.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must log on using the above link and create an account before proceeding with the process.