TIPS FOR SAVING INDIGENOUS MARINE LIFE FROM LIONFISH
1) Never release non-native fish or other pets into local waters.
2) Take part in a lionfish research and removal project. Check out REEF's website to find information about upcoming "voluntourism" trips to the Bahamas, Belize and Little Cayman.
3) Support lionfish research.
4) Eat a lionfish. They're delicious.
5) Help educate others about the lionfish issue.
6) Talk to your local aquarium store about educating their customers.
7) Report all sightings of lionfish to REEF.
8) Take a lionfish hunter specialty course.
9) Learn your fish identification, so you'll know which species should NOT be on the reef.
10) Don't get stung! Lionfish have venomous spines that can inflict painful stings, so be extremely careful when near them, and never handle them without wearing protective gloves.
Lad Akins is the co-founder of Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).