Jack's Diving Locker was established in 1981 by Jack & Tina Clothier. In 1982, Teri & Jeff Leicher, who moved from Oahu to Kona, formed a partnership with Tina Clothier. For the next seven years, the company enjoyed slow but steady growth, and continued its reputation for quality service.
In 1989, Teri & Jeff bought Tina's share of the business and moved the retail shop from the Kona Inn Shopping Center to the Coconut Grove Marketplace. In addition to the Blue Dolphin, they added a second boat, the Na Pali Kai II in 1985 and in 1998 added the Na Pali Kai.
In 1993, Dr. Russ & Gail Laros, former students and clients of JDL, became involved as partners in the business. The Laros' involvement in JDL allowed continued growth in the form of state-of -the-art equipment and business practices. The Leicher's run the day-to-day operation of the business, while the Laros' split their time between California and Hawaii, and maintain an active role in the growth of JDL.
On November 1, 2003 JDL moved into a new 5,000 square foot custom-built facility in the Coconut Grove Marketplace. The new facility features:
· A top rated retail space fully stocked with the latest dive, snorkel and swim gear
· 2 comfortable classrooms
· A large spacious gear locker
· A high tech state of the art repair facility
· An efficient tank room pumping air and Nitrox blends up to 100% oxygen
· And a 12' deep pool to use for diving classes including Intro to Scuba, Refresher dives, Kids Camps and Bubblemaker Birthday parties for Kids.
On November 16th, 2005 Jack's Diving Locker purchased Kona Coast Divers, founded in 1983. Julie Cunningham, the retiring owner of Kona Coast Divers says, "I have known Jeff and Teri Leicher for many years and feel that JDL is the best choice as new owners of Kona Coast Divers. Operations will only get better with JDL's experience and positive attitude."
JDL's management and crew are actively involved in various community and environmental projects:
1. Hero of the Year award as "Friend of the Environment"
2. Rodales Scuba Diving Magazine First place (Best Dive Operator)
3. National Marine Sanctuary Star of the Sea 7/02-04 NOAA
4. US Department of Interior 2002
5. The Ocean Conservancy International Coastal Cleanup
6. Mamala Kai Foundation board member - Ocean Stewardship
7. Manta Pacific Foundation sponsor
8. Big Island Reef Fund Board
9. Junior camps for Kids, Ocean stewardship
10. Project Grad Night volunteer
11. Hawaiian Island Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Committee
12. Hawaii Ocean Safety Team - Committee member
13. HIRSA Board member Hawaiian Island Recreational Scuba Association
14. Ocean Tourism Coalition - Board
15. Annual Underwater Pier cleanup for Get the Drift and Bag-it
16. Official Dive Shop for the Ironman - Triathalon
- Setup the swim course and provide safety divers for 22 years
17. Day-use Mooring installation and maintenance
18. Spearhead Statewide Day-use Mooring project for Coral Reef protection
In 2005 Jack's Diving Locker received a certification of Recognition and Congratulations on receiving the Hawaii's Living Reef Award. The certificate starts off with "The Senate takes great pride in recognizing outstanding organizations that endeavor to protect and preserve our natural resources."
Hawaii's Living Reef Award program sponsored by the State of Hawaii, NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and the Coral Reef Outreach Network was held at the Ala Moana Hotel on Wednesday, August 17, 2005. Hawaii's Living Reef program is a statewide public awareness program created and implemented through the cooperation and dedication of more than 40 state and federal agencies and non-governmental organizations.
As a PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Instructor Development Center JDL provides PADI programs exclusively, which means traveling divers can get anything from a snorkeling experience to advanced certifications and PADI Instructor training. PADI Gold Palm IDC Resorts are located in some of the world's most popular and exotic destinations. JDL has top of the line equipment, 4 comfortable, fast boats, modern training facilities and the friendliest service in the entire state. In addition to being a PADI Gold Palm Resort JDL offers the Universal Referral program for NAUI, SSI and YMCA certifications