Nassau is frequently listed as one of the world's best scuba diving destinations, but there's much more to New Providence Island than just its capital city. The waters around the entire island offer fabulous scenery, abundant marine life, perfect visibility and easy access. And topside, you'll find just as many thrilling sights to see and things to do. Here are 10 experiences you shouldn't miss the next time you visit New Providence, Bahamas.
1. Fish Fry This strip of colorfully painted restaurants is the place to rub elbows with locals. It’s easily accessible by cab.
2. Ray of Hope Wreck This intact 200-foot freighter sits upright, so divers can penetrate its intriquing array of cabins and gangways.
3. Fort Charlotte Get a great view of 6 Nassau Harbour and Paradise Island lighthouse from this 18th century fort named for the wife of Britain’s King George III.
4. Atlantis Adventures Kids of all ages will love Atlantis resort’s 141-acre Aquaventure water park. Looking for bigger blue? Stuart Cove’s teams with the resort for Blue Adventures programs in scuba, snorkel and snuba.
5. James Bond Wrecks Thousands of silversides — along with yellow snapper, blue parrots and nurse sharks — populate these wrecks used to film Never Say Never Again and You Only Live Twice.
6. Shark Arena Stuart Cove’s Dive Bahamas will introduce you to dozens of curious Caribbean reef sharks here during its heart-pumping shark feeding dives.
7. Cable Beach Daiquiri Shack Travelers come from far and wide to revel at the Daq Shack on New Providence’s northern coast. The mango is a must-try.
8. Razorback Wall The inside of this 8 ridge is riddled with tunnels and coral structures, while the outside slips over the edge of the wall into the abyss.
9. Shopping in Downtown Nassau Bustling Bay Street is the place for everything from liquor to perfume and jewelry, as well as fine local crafts.
10. Hollywood Bowl Home to more underwater movie, TV and commercial scenes than anywhere on the planet, this “bowl” of coral gardens is perfect for photography.