CHUUK -- WHAT TO BRING | Sport Diver


WHAT TO BRING The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) retains close ties with the United States and travel there is generally uncomplicated. The languages spoken are Chuukese and English, and most locals speak at least some English. Entry for U.S. citizens is simple and a valid passport is generally all that is necessary. For more detailed information check out the FSM visitor's website. Entry requirements: 1-Proof of citizenship or nationality All Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) visitors must present a valid passport or other valid proof of citizenship as issued by the government of nationality. The identification must be valid for 120 days beyond the date of departure. 2-FSM Immigration Arrival and Departure Record Visitors without a valid entry permit must fill out this form, which is supplied by your airline carrier prior to arrival. 3-Proof of onward travel All visitors must provide proof of an onward ticket to a destination outside of the FSM. Other proof of onward travel may be presented to the chief of Immigration and Labor. 4-Entry permit Citizens and nationals of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the United States may be issued an entry permit for the duration of the visit - up to one year. Medical: The government operated hospital on Weno is able to take care of all normal needs. Remember to bring the prescription medication you'll need for the entire length of your stay.

WHAT TO PACK There are no mega-malls in Chuuk but there are small stores that carry most of the items you may need. Be aware that prices may be bit higher here for some items and you might want to bring necessary items with you. Some of the hotels/resorts also offer small stores that sell basics and local handicrafts. Dress is very casual, and for comfort.

Necessities might include:

  • Sunscreen
  • Floppy hat
  • Bathing suits
  • Cover-ups
  • Sandals/flip flops for beach-days
  • Bug spray or lotion ("green" if possible)
  • C-card
  • Disposable cameras/underwater camera and film
  • Any prescriptions you may need