Best Scuba Diving Destinations: Fiji
With more than 300 jaw-droppingly gorgeous islands offering a plethora of tropical fantasies above and below the water, Fiji has what it takes to please adventurous divers in every way.**** If you're planning a dive trip to Fiji, make sure you check out each of these signature experiences.
1. Join the Frenzy The shark dives of Beqa Lagoon attract multiple adrenaline-inducing species, from black-tips to gray reefs, silvertips, lemons, bulls and tigers.
2. Cruise the Wall Off Taveuni, the famous Great White Wall site begins with a dramatic swim-through and climaxes along a span of ghostly soft corals.
3. Say “Bula” Fijians are famous for their warm hospitality, especially toward children, and you’ll hear this gregarious greeting everywhere you go.
4. Shoot the Pass Naiqoro Passage, a fast-flowing cut in the massive Great Astrolabe Reef, attracts hunting pelagics such as sharks, wrasse and barracuda.
5. Get Tubed Fiji’s world-renowned waves are scattered throughout the region, including Frigates Pass and Cloudbreak off Viti Levu, and Rangs off Vanua Levu.
6. Brave the Rapids Flowing through deep, black volcanic rock gorges in the highlands of Viti Levu, the Upper Navua River offers thrill seekers a rare rafting experience.
7. Visit a Village Arrange a trip to a traditional Fijian community, just don’t forget the customary gift of kava, a mildly intoxicating local concoction.
8. Find a Pearl The J. Hunter Pearl Farm in Savusavu Bay, which specializes in pearls of distinctive hue and size, offers daily tours that include snorkeling and culminate with a harvesting experience (www.pearlsfiji.com).
9. Dig the Colors Rainbow Reef in the prolific Somosomo Strait lives up to its name with a full spectrum of soft corals accented by swarming brilliant anthias.
10. Shop Local Nadi Market on Viti Levu is a bustling hub of commerce and a great place to soak up authentic Fijian culture amongst the fresh produce and handmade crafts.
View a photo gallery of Carlos Villoch's stunning images from these islands.
For more information on Fiji, visit sportdiver.com/fiji or bulafiji.com.